The Benefits of Working for Yourself as a PSW or CaregiverNectari
In today’s Canada, there is a shortage of PSW workers and caregivers. With those who were and are baby boomers that number will only increase over the next number of years. It is a great time to be a PSW or a caregiver and there are many benefits to working for yourself instead of at a facility or for any agency.
The Benefits of Working for Yourself as a PSW or a Caregiver
- You choose the families you will work for. Caregiving is a partnership with an individual family. You interview each other to see if you are a match. No more assignments, no more long-term residents. You know who you will be going too and you have chosen them just as they have chosen you. Where do you find these families? Enrol as a caregiver on the Caremap™ app by downloading the app from the App Store or by registering at ucarenet.com.
- You choose your hours. You know what hours will work best for you. Being self-employed you can determine your availability. If you are not available on weekends you simply choose not to work or to schedule clients on those.
- Earn More. Since you work directly with a family you negotiate your wages. As there is no agency in the middle you can earn more. The average PSW who works for themselves earns $5 more per hour over agency rates.
- The tax benefits. As a self-employed caregiver, there are many tax write-offs, from your uniform to gasoline, to your cell phone bill. If you manage your business from your home, you can also deduct a percentage of the house’s expenses. All of these tax write-offs means less tax to pay. Ask your accountant to confirm the deductions you can benefit from.
- You are doing what you love. Caregiving is a calling for many and instead of getting burned out you are doing what you love for those you have chosen to interact with! There is a great benefit for having control over your client list.
This is just a short list of some of the benefits of working for yourself as a caregiver or PSW. What are some of the other benefits you can think of?